Ukraine claimed on Thursday that it has resisted three Russian attacks on a critical bastion in the country’s east, while NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg warned Moscow must not be allowed to win the conflict.
- Both the US Senate and the Italian parliament supported Finland and Sweden’s NATO membership.
- According to the South China Morning Post, Zelenskiy is seeking “direct talks” with Chinese President Xi Jinping to help resolve the conflict with Russia.
- The first grain ship to leave a Ukrainian port during the conflict went through the Bosphorus Strait on its way to Lebanon, where international powers hope it will be the first of many to help alleviate a worldwide food crisis.
- According to a German government source, the European Union plans to put together another finance package for Ukraine by September totaling about 8 billion euros ($8.15 billion).
- The governor of the Donetsk region reported three people were murdered and five were injured in Bakhmut, Maryinka, and Shevchenko in the last 24 hours.
- The governors of Mykolaiv, Kharkiv, and Dnipropetrovsk confirmed that their areas had been bombarded overnight, causing damage to civilian infrastructure and homes.