A Ukrainian military officer claimed Russia is preparing for the next stage of its onslaught in Ukraine, following Moscow’s announcement that its forces would increase combat actions in “all operational areas”.
- According to Russia’s defense ministry, its planes shot down a Ukrainian MI-17 helicopter near the eastern town of Sloviansk and an SU-25 plane in the Kharkiv region.
- The Russian army also claimed that its long-range air-based missiles damaged a facility in Odesa’s industrial zone that included Harpoon anti-ship missiles provided to Ukraine by NATO members.
- Russia is strengthening its defensive positions across the territory it controls in southern Ukraine, according to the British defense minister.
- A Russian missile strike targeted the northeast Ukrainian village of Chuhuiv in Kharkiv region on Saturday, killing three people and injuring three more, according to the regional governor.
- Russian-backed rebels said on Saturday that Ukraine launched six HIMARS rockets at the town of Alchevsk, east of Sloviansk. According to the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic, the strikes killed two people.
- Reuters was unable to independently confirm the battlefield accounts.
- The Ukraine war demonstrates the West’s decline as China rises to superpower status in cooperation with Russia at one of the most crucial inflection times in generations, according to former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
- G20 finance ministers promised on Saturday to combat global food shortages and mounting debt, but they were divided on Russia’s invasion.
- On Sunday, Gazprom’s (GAZP.MM) gas transit to Europe via Ukraine remained stable.